Nothing destroys a home quite like moisture and the many problems that come with it, namely mold. When moisture is left to fester out of sight, the damage can be significant and quick to accumulate, with few signs to alert a homeowner to the issue so it can be stopped in a timely manner. This is why a proactive approach to water and mold growth is so important.
Stopping mold and the need for mold remediation in Village, VA means stopping moisture from taking its toll on a home. This can be done in a number of ways:
- Have plumbing inspected and serviced annually, to make sure that there are no areas subject to compromise where water could begin to drip or pool, thus creating a breeding ground for mold.
- Properly ventilate crawl spaces and other areas where humidity and dampness could be an issue. These are prime areas for mold development and can see mold growth quicker than other areas simply because of the environmental factors.
- See that your plumbing and area where plumbing junctions are present are waterproofed, so that moisture doesn’t leak into insulation where mold growth can quickly take root.
Now, while there’s much and more a homeowner can do in the way of foreseeable action, there are a few situations that can occur in which there’s not really much prepping for. A freak storm that causes water damage to a home, destruction caused by pests that eventually leads to mold growth, etc.—these things can’t really be planned for and thus have to be taken in stride to see that water damage and the eventual mold growth that follows aren’t allowed to take root.
For emergency situations—be it a plumbing malfunction or a weather-related water incident—it’s best to seek professional water remediation or mold remediation in Village, VA, to deal with the problem head-on, before it has a chance to spread or get worse.
Recognizing mold in your home
The biggest problem with mold in your home is that it flourishes in areas that are often out of sight and out of mind for homeowners. Because of this, realizing you’re being plagued by a mold problem usually happens too late. Take a look at a few signs that mold may be in your home:
- Do you find yourself constantly coughing, sneezing or dealing with allergy symptoms all year round? It’s a sign that mold may be present in your home and spores might be in your home’s airways.
- Does the air in your home feel damp, muggy or heavy, even when the temperature outside is pleasant? Mold can bog down your air, so be sure to check your home’s sensitive areas.
- Do you see discoloration or spotty areas on the ceiling or in the corners of your home? This can be a sign of a mold colony that’s growing larger and spreading to areas throughout your home.
Keeping your senses primed for signs of mold in the home can be a way to alert yourself to the presence of spores and colonies in your home, even if you’re doing your best to keep them out. If you spot any signs, be sure to call for mold remediation in Village, VA right away.