For the highly trafficked surfaces in your home, regular cleaning is a must. We vacuum floors, clean upholstery, mop dust and more to make sure these areas retain some level of clean. But, in our quest to achieve a clean, healthy living environment, we often forget to clean the heaviest trafficked area of our homes: our mattresses!
Think about it: you lay on your mattress for 8 hours a night, which means 8 hours of consistent wear and tear, along with the dirtiness that naturally comes off of our bodies. Needless to say, your mattress isn’t going to be in the best shape cleanliness-wise!
This spring, when you’re focused on upholstery and carpet cleaning in Village, VA, make sure you’re also taking some time to clean your mattress as well. Here are a few tips to help you remove some of the accumulated filth and restore your sleeping surface to an acceptable level of clean:
- Strip off sheets and comforters all the way down to the mattress itself before you start your cleaning. To get the best clean, you need to attack the surface where everything builds up, which means cleaning right down to the mattress.
- Vacuum off any debris that might be on the surface of the mattress. This can include things like dead skin cells, pet dander, lint and any number of other debris that can accumulate over time. Even if your mattress looks clean to the naked eye, run a vacuum over it for good measure.
- Next, get out the trusty steam cleaner and give your mattress a thorough steam cleaning! This will work to kill any pathogens that might be lurking within the fibers of the mattress. It’ll also help lift out any stains the might be present, including sweat stains or blood. Make sure when you’re done you leave ample time for the mattress to air dry.
- Next, if possible, flip your mattress and repeat the above steps for the other side. When you’re done, sleep on this side for a while until you next flip or rotate the mattress! If your mattress is only single-sided (like a pillowtop), you can skip this step.
- Finally, rotate your mattress so that you’re sleeping on a new area. This will help extend the life of the mattress itself and can help you to spread out wear and tear after a good cleaning, to preserve the cleanliness of the mattress for longer between cleanings.
Don’t forget to wash the sheets and if you have a spare pair, switch them for the coming season! All of this will leave you with a bed that looks, feels and even smells worlds cleaner than it did.
Cleaning a mattress is as simple as carpet cleaning in Village, VA, but it’s often overlooked because we don’t think to clean our sleeping space. Make sure you’re not overlooking your mattress this spring—follow the above tips and give it the cleaning it (and you!) deserves.