Flooding in rooms, attics, basements and crawlspaces can happen at any time of the year. Heavy rainfall in the spring and flash floods in the summer are a threat in the warmer months, and burst pipes are always a looming possibility when the temperature drops. If you have a flooding issue in your home, proper water damage restoration in Village, VA is a must if you want to get your home back to normal as soon as possible. Here are a few things to know, and some steps to take after your home has been damaged by a flood or burst pipe.
Step 1: Call your insurance provider
Once you notice there could be flooding in your home, you should call your homeowner’s insurance provider ASAP. Waist-deep water in the basement is a surefire way to know you have a water damage problem, but there are other less noticeable signs to watch for that could indicate water damage. Some of these signs include:
- Excessive humidity in the air
- Condensation droplets around your home
- Smell of mold and mildew
- Discoloration and rot on your floors or walls
- Rust on metal surfaces, like HVAC systems
- A white powdery substance on floor boards
Step 2: Contact a water damage restoration company
Your insurance provider will put you in contact with a reputable water damage restoration company, like ours! We carry Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). Once you’ve contacted your insurance provider and have given us a call, we’ll take care of everything to get your home back to normal. Here are our next steps:
- Inspection: First, we’ll send a professional to your home to assess the damage. The professional will be able to offer you a quote for our services based on the severity of the damage.
- Water extraction: Every wet material in the affected area must be hauled out of your home as quickly as possible to get the drying process underway. Rugs will be torn out, furniture will be removed and drywall and baseboards may even be taken out to ensure proper water damage restoration in Village, VA.
- Stabilizing and drying: After all of the wet materials in your home have been removed, we’ll bring in commercial-grade equipment to dry the air in your home and increase air circulation. These steps should dry up all of the moisture in your home.
- Reassessment: After we believe that the damaged areas are dry, our inspectors will walk back through your home to ensure there aren’t any hidden pockets of moisture that could eventually turn into a mold and mildew issue.
- Reconstruction: The extent of this step varies on a case-to-case basis. Highly damaged areas, like a completely flooded basement, can require heavy reconstruction. However, a wall that has a little water damage may just require a new sheet of drywall.
Don’t wait before it’s too late to hire a company for water damage restoration in Village, VA! From issues with your foundation to the growth of mold and mildew, water damage in your home only gets worse with time. Call King’s Cleaning Service, Inc. as soon as you notice any of the above signs of water damage in your home.