Spring is about to start, and you’ve likely started cleaning your home after a long winter. Mold is present in all homes, but if it is not controlled, it can become dangerous. If you catch it early, you can often clean it yourself, but once it becomes a serious problem, you need professional intervention. Here are five tips for effective mold removal in Village:
- Watch symptoms: The initial symptoms of mold infestation are similar to colds or allergies. People report respiratory symptoms, fatigue, headaches and a persistent cough that goes away when they leave the home. If you have one household member who has respiratory sensitivities, they will likely detect the mold first. Other household members will usually develop symptoms later. Once this affects most people under your roof and they all report feeling better when they leave, you likely have a mold problem that needs to be addressed.
- When you see it, start cleaning: Most people think of black mold, but that is not the only species that will settle into your home. You cannot judge the danger of mold on color alone. It will present in different ways. Mold will take a sand granule or fuzzy appearance, but also turn the walls and floors different colors. When you see pastel shades, gray, red or tan, that is likely due to mold, and you need to start cleaning—now.
- Dry areas thoroughly: Mold thrives in high-humidity areas with water. Basements and attics are favorite places for it, and if you face a flood or plumbing emergency, you’ve just created perfect conditions for mold. When these water events occur, call in a remediation company to dry the area with high-efficiency heaters. Mold already lives in many buildings, and an overflowing toilet or burst pipe gives it an opportunity to spread. Allowing the areas to simply dry on their own will unfortunately encourage further growth.
- Go beyond the smell: We are all accustomed to musty smells in a basement or attic. This is considered normal, but it is also a dangerous sign. If there is enough mold that you can smell it, you will not have to wait long until your household experiences symptoms. You may not see it or experienced a flood recently, but mold can grow slowly over the years. If you cannot find signs of it, call in professional cleaners to address the problem as soon as possible. Otherwise, you may have to invest in more extensive mold remediation.
- Address with specialized products: There are consumer products available that are designed for mold or mildew. These cleaners are often effective, but if you are cleaning in a tight space, you will need something gentler. A bleach and water mixture is also effective against mold, and you will not find the fumes as overwhelming. If you see large areas of black mold, or if mold is very noticeable, call us instead. You may have a dangerous situation that needs our attention.
King’s Cleaning Service, Inc. can help you with mold removal in Village, VA and the surrounding areas. Call us today to get an assessment and start cleaning that mold out of your home.