It’s estimated that more than 50 million people have nasal allergies. These can be triggered by anything from pollen and mold, to dust and smoke, to countless other histamines and irritants. We tend to think of allergens as part of the outside world, but more often than not, they’re prevalent in your home as well. Keeping them in check requires some work.
Let’s take a look at five ways you—or a cleaning service in Village, VA—can make your home a more comfortable, welcoming environment by keeping the presence of allergens low:
- Air duct cleaning: Your air ducts supply forced air to the entirety of your home. This makes them the prime suspect in allergen distribution in your living space. Cleaning air ducts can help to get rid of the biggest sources of your itchy eyes and coughing attacks. Things like dirt, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold and more may all be present in your ducts, unseen, but definitely felt in your air.
- Deep clean carpets: Your carpets are a prime nesting ground for allergens. They may float in through an open window or be brought in by your family, and once they’re inside, pollen, grass clippings, dirt and more will all float down to the carpet. Once there, they can be tramped down into the fibers with everyday traffic. Deep cleaning your carpet sucks them out and removes them entirely, along with their irritating symptoms.
- Upholstery cleaning: Just as with your carpets, your upholstery could be a nesting area for allergens. Every time you sit down, you kick some into the air, where they’ll make you miserable until they settle again. Cleaning your couches, chairs, ottomans, drapes and other furniture and fixtures will give you room to breathe easy again while you relax.
- Locate mold and mildew: When humidity reaches new highs, the potential for mold and mildew growth increases in your home. Mold is a major irritant for many people because it directly disrupts the respiratory system. Some molds (black molds) can even cause severe illness. Having your home checked for mold growth and ensuring any growths are eradicated is a step towards living comfortably without the presence of this allergen.
- Keep things clean: The best thing you can do for your home is to keep it clean! If you don’t give allergens a chance to rest and settle in your home, they won’t be around to affect you. Whether that means vacuuming every couple of days or hiring a cleaning service in Village, VA for a deep clean every now and then, cleanliness is your first line of defense against unseen allergens.
Allergies may be the bane of your summer months outdoors, but they don’t have to make you miserable in the place where you live. Follow the above tips to keep indoor allergens to a minimum. You’ll breathe easier and, as a bonus, be able to enjoy a home that’s pristinely clean and well-kept at all times. Call King’s Cleaning Service, Inc. to learn more about how we can help!