It’s Autumn. Pumpkins glow in golden fields. Shorter days, crisp mornings signal winter’s approach.
Use Autumn’s brisk and breezy days to conquer deep-cleaning chores for a clean and comfortable winter home, and to wrap up summer’s outdoor lifestyle.
Deep clean now to take advantage of good weather and to welcome approaching holidays with a clean and comfortable home.
- Focus on public rooms: living room, family room, entryway, guest bath.
- Clean from top to bottom. Vacuum drapes and window treatments. Clean window sills and window wells. Vacuum baseboards and corners.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture, or have professionally cleaned if needed. Move furniture and vacuum beneath and behind it.
- Wash interior windows.
- Turn mattresses front-to-back and end-to-end to equalize wear.
- Launder or clean all bedding: mattress pads, pillows, duvets, blankets, comforters. Tuck the family into a warm and cozy winter bed.
- Schedule professional carpet cleaning early this month! Warm October afternoons speed carpet drying. Carpet cleaning firms get busy by the end of October, so schedule now for best service.
- Prepare the kitchen for holiday cooking. Clean and organized kitchen cabinets, paying particular attention to baking supplies, pans and equipment.
- Clear kitchen counters of all appliances not used within the last week. Clear counters look cleaner–and provide more room for holiday cooking.
- Pull refrigerator away from the wall, and vacuum the condenser coils. For bottom-mounted coils, use a long, narrow brush to clean coils of dust and debris.
- Wash light-diffusing bowls from light fixtures.
- Inspect each appliance. Does it need supplies? Stock up on softener salt now, and avoid staggering over icy sidewalks with heavy bags.
- Check and empty the central vacuum’s collection area.
- Clean electronic air cleaner elements monthly for most efficient operation. Wash them in an empty dishwasher (consult manual for specific product recommendations).
- Clean or replace humidifier elements before the heating season begins.
- Inspect washer hoses for bulges, cracks or splits. Replace them every other year.
- Check dryer exhaust tube and vent for built-up lint, debris or birds’ nests! Make sure the exterior vent door closes tightly when not in use. To prevent a house fire caused by dryer vent buildup, have the exhaust cleaned.
- Schedule fall furnace inspections now. Don’t wait for the first cold night!
- Buy a winter’s supply of furnace filters. Change filters monthly for maximum energy savings and indoor comfort. When the right filter is on hand, it’s an easy job!
- Drain sediment from hot water heaters.