Disinfectants are frequently used in a variety of cleaning applications. That’s because they’re very effective at destroying microbes and pathogens. However, this also means that they’re not completely harmless—this chemical composition means that ingesting them can have a negative impact on humans. This is a particular concern for those who frequently work with disinfectants, as well as for children and pets who are liable to ingest them.
When considering disinfectant pros and cons in Village, VA, it’s important to remember that these commonly used cleaning solutions should always be handled with care. Read on to find out more about disinfectants:
- Hydrogen peroxide: One of the most popular and well-known disinfectants is hydrogen peroxide. You probably remember this from your youth—often people will apply this solution to wounds like skinned knees, minor scrapes, and other common injuries. Hydrogen peroxide typically comes in a brown bottle and can be found in pretty much every pharmacy in the country.
- Chemical composition: This 3 percent variety of hydrogen peroxide is made up of water and oxygen. It can be used as a mouthwash and often is used by dentists for this purpose. This means that a small exposure such as in a mouth rinse is completely fine. Ingestion of large quantities of hydrogen peroxide, however, is very strongly discouraged for reasons outlined below.
- Disinfectant use: Hydrogen peroxide is an active agent when fighting against a broad spectrum of microorganisms. This includes yeasts, viruses, bacteria and spores. Peroxide is an oxidizing agent, meaning that it does its work via drawing electrons from cellular molecules. It also will attack pathogens through its main active ingredient. Hydrogen peroxide may also lose its effectiveness if it comes into contact with organic matter and soil that hasn’t been cleaned prior to application. That means a thorough cleaning of the surface is essential before applying hydrogen peroxide.
- Risks: Ingesting small amounts of hydrogen peroxide is usually not cause for concern, but it does appear to be because it often causes foaming at the mouth. This will obviously appear scary, but is surprisingly not a big deal. This usually results in stomach irritation and possible vomiting. However, the case of ingesting a large amount of hydrogen peroxide, or swallowing higher concentration hydrogen peroxide like that used in hair bleach or for industrial applications, is a medical emergency, as it can cause tissue burns and lead to a variety of complications.
Of course, you could just leave the use of disinfectant cleaners to the pros. Hiring a professional cleaning service in Village, VA means letting someone else do the work while you relax. King’s Cleaning Service, Inc. has long served the community by providing top-notch cleaning services. We specialize in mold removal, water damage recovery, carpet cleaning, Oriental rug care, furniture cleaning and air duct cleaning. We can also provide more helpful information about different disinfectant pros and cons in Village, VA.
Our loyal customers keep coming back due to our commitment to outstanding customer service. Our team of talented technicians, who have more than three decades of combined experience, provides leading service to residential and commercial customers every day. Call us to get started and request a free estimate!