Laying down an area rug is a fantastic way to spruce up your living space and protect your flooring. However, rugs aren’t just something you can put down and forget about—they have to be professionally cleaned from time to time to look their best.
Many homeowners know they need to clean their rugs, but they don’t know how often area rugs should be cleaned in Village. The answer is that it depends! This post will cover a few of the factors that should determine your rug’s cleaning schedule:
- Foot traffic: Needless to say, area rugs that see more foot traffic will need to be cleaned more often than ones that don’t. Area rugs that sit in entryways may need to be cleaned twice as often as those in guest bedrooms. Additionally, this frequency depends on whether or not you allow shoes in your home. Rugs in “no-shoe” houses shouldn’t need to be cleaned nearly as often.
- Pets: You love your furry friends, but they certainly can make a mess around the house. In addition to having accidents that require immediate attention, pets leave hair and dander behind that collect in your rug’s fiber. Unless they’re hairless, if you have pets in the house, you’ll need to schedule cleaning more frequently.
- Children: Similar to pets, kids can cause a big mess! From dropping crumbs to spilling juice, there’s no telling what damage they might cause. In our opinion, it’s a good idea to keep kids as far away from your area rugs as possible, but if that’s not an option, have your cleaner’s number on speed dial.
Steps to take between cleanings
Now you know the answer to how often area rugs should be cleaned in Village, but professional cleaning isn’t the only important aspect of rug care. Prolong your rug’s lifespan and improve its appearance by following these steps:
- Vacuum regularly: Vacuuming the rug is the most important thing an owner can do besides scheduling a professional cleaning. Vacuum on both sides of the rug to remove dust, dirt and other allergens trapped in the fibers. Your vacuuming frequency will depend on a number of factors, but it should be done at least once every two weeks to preserve its appearance.
- Shake it out: On top of vacuuming, take your rug outside and shake it off every few weeks. Shaking your rug and/or beating it with a broom loosens up some extra dust that the vacuum might not have been able to remove on the first pass. This process only takes a few minutes and will breathe some new life into your carpet.
- Clean spills right away: Spills are bound to happen, especially if you have young kids in the house. To prevent any spills from seeping into the fiber and becoming permanent stains, address them right away. Lift as much of the spill as you can and consider calling a professional to perform a spot treatment if it looks like it may be a permanent stain.
Whether you still need to know how often area rugs should be cleaned in Village or you’re ready to schedule rug cleaning, call our team at King’s Cleaning Service, Inc. We offer an array of cleaning services for all kinds of rugs and carpeting.